Monday, March 31, 2014

Mak-ies

Arts and Crafts

With as much art history and specifically Feminist Art History as I have studied in life, I know that this is an extremely loaded topic for discussion.

I make things. Period. I have found that it is important for me to dedicate my life to making, I don't separate making from my everyday.  Sometimes this takes the form of baking, sometimes it is the repair of a shoelace or other item of clothing.  These skills are the very foundation for repairing and building on sculpture, painting, being, performing, etc.  I no longer find it necessary to separate the two, but instead I make art and I craft my destinations in life with my making.  The importance isn't the what it is in the end but how I got there.  What stories and memories were shared and made along the way.

It is with saying these things that I am about to embark on a new moment in my life; I am leaving the world of Arts Administration (maybe I will get back to it someday).  Mid April I will go back to work in my basement and I will work diligently to produce items for AB&C's Etsy shop.  I anticipate that I will keep building on the blog and hope to grow a small audience of makers and people interested in all things hand-made.

And just to be sure that you understand I am versed in the proper art history to back all this up- "Thanks Judy!"


No comments:

Post a Comment