Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Curb Furniture Upcycle: Part TWO




Continued, now to the weaving...

Step 1: After the cotton was completely dry, I rolled it into a ball and attached one side the the side rail of the chair's seat.  I made the knot as tight and clean as possible.  Later I will neaten the edges.
Step 2: Use the left and right side rails of the seat to form the warp.  In this case I wrapped all the way around the outsides and tried to keep each warp about 1/2" apart. I did get really lucky on the yardage; had things not worked out I would have made my warp a bit further apart each wrap to adjust.  You can also add it all up before hand so that you have the exact amount needed to dye.

Close up of my initial knot.  Also important and helpful along the way was to tape the ends so that they didn't fray as I worked.  
Step 3: Continue wrapping warm until you get to the front edge of the chair.  Once there I bound off similar to the above knot.  Taking efforts to secure it very tight.


Step 4: Begin weaving.  I tied on a new and un-dyed chord to the rear of the chair and began weaving the thread through from back to front and then back again.  This portion took the longest time and was a bit of a hand workout.  As I approached the other side of the chair I needed a helper bar to assist in moving the weft into even positioning.



In order to tie off at the end, I used my same tactic to make sure that I pulled it very tight and then worked to tuck the knots to the interior of the chair.  I did end up sewing some of the knots together in order to make sure they didn't come undone.

And Voila! After a lot of hand brutality a lovely dumpster chair.  I will be using this little inspiration corner for coffee and morning brainstorming, and maybe even the writing of this here blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment