Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Recipe Card D.I.Y.

Confession: I don't like to throw things away. However, I do sometimes and I recycle lots in order to be a high functioning hoarder.

I enjoy the fun little mementos in life, that I stumble upon or that are sent to me by like-minded friends around the country. Moving can also make you feel more close to these items; so above you will see an awesome card sent to us by Miriam, now turned into a recipe card.  (It is really too bad that I didn't save this card for a pig in a blanket recipe.)

I first had this idea after our wedding.  We had lots of fantastic cards and due to our St. Louis hosted wedding shower, we had tons of great recipes. Additionally, I had been stashing clippings in an old medical clipboard and thus the idea for melding these two piles of paper was born.

I have been stashing my torn out magazine articles and cards in a little rack that I keep next to the couch. When I get a good supply going, I gather my materials and set to work.  You will need the above listed items.

Plan your pairing and decide on how you will fit the information onto the card.  This is a bit like Photoshop 1.0.  I often make very creative folds in order to keep all the info from the magazine or newspaper recipe.  They really don't plan for folks to conform the info into a standard recipe card box.
I use a standard sized index card to trace and use for sizing purposes.  Then I play with the pieces until they fit. 

 For this card I only glued a portion of the left hand side down so that I could fold the recipe under.  Plus I can still read some of the message on the card!
This project will inevitably lead to another, as my recipe card holder is already full- AB and I will be working on a wood container to dazzle you with at some other post along the way.





2 comments:

  1. What a GREAT idea! The beautiful cards will be even more motivation to try out all the recipes I've been collecting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like it and I hope that it does boost some kitchen morale! I know I need that as well. Happy Crafting!

      Delete