Monday, August 25, 2014

…Take and old desk…make a new desk…



So I’ve had this old computer desk that my dad gave me years ago when I got my first college apartment.  You know the place…that first pad you went in on with a couple of friends from the dorms…where you each crammed all of your worldly belongings into your own room (8 ft by 12 ft … no closet… mattress on the floor…and come to think of it, that apartment had no real living room).  Anyway, the desk… the desk was perfectly adequate back in the days of desktop computer systems, huge CRT monitors (single color) and bubble jet printers.  This fine specimen of particle board and tubular steel lay the sturdy foundation upon which many a weighty undergraduate paper in history and philosophy would be crafted with such scrutinized care that the only possible grade that could be given was that of my own namesake – AB. 

Even "new" it almost appears to bow in the middle...


Well there were good times with this desk, and so many moments of doubt.  Almost annually I considered placing it “under the hippie Christmas tree” (read: on the curb) for some wide eyed child (read: broke college student) to gather up and make his/her own…  Yet, each year, the desk remained, only to be weighted down yet again with another towering CPU and larger full color monitor…  It continued to serve me well over the years...

Well, that old grey mare of a desk had been rode hard and put away wet so many times that it was time to send her out to pasture…but, being the cheap bastard I am, and acknowledging the need to reduce, reuse and recycle…I set out to break down the old beast and build it anew, from the ground up…

And there you have it…

 ...and there it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment