Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Working from nature

Recently, I did a couple of small projects that worked with the world around me.  I have to imagine this is some sort of preparation for the impending winter...


On an early morning walk without Marcel, which coincidentally was kind of a nice change of pace, I found this cool specimen in the road.  The tree from which it came was not anywhere nearby so I am unsure of its origin.  I picked it up to carry it back home.  I thought it was really a lovely thing with all of its leaves and their exotic twists.  I also like the little visible nucleus/seed in each leaf.  


Once home and seated with a coffee, I pulled out some of my sparkly colored pencils and some of my prisma colors that are ancient, going on about 20 years old at this point.  The pencils are tried and true and work like the first time they were used.  I began to sketch from my little bit of nature.  I am still working on the drawing, but it was nice to collect a neat item and spend some time studying it in the studio.


I have, since grad school, been toying with how to dye without all the chemicals.  In my home, there is no safety ventilation system in place.  How do I get to play with color without being toxic to myself and the other family members?  Usually, I am using koolaid on animal fibers- that method will continue to be a favorite.  But, I am still experimenting with dying using more natural ingredients, things I can feel comfortably placing in my cookware.  


On this piece of white tablecloth, with existing stains, I played with some sewn shibori methods and some standard rubber band resists in a coffee dye bath.  Shibori is the Japanese term for tying and then dying.  Vinegar was added to the mixture to assist with color fastness- but I have to say that thus far, I was unimpressed with the results.  I may soon be wrapping the cloth with veggies, stains and other things and laying them in the yard in order to harness the sun's power for helping to dye.  In the end, the coffee grounds did not really adhere to the fabric.  I have also tried purple cabbage, but it too, seemed pretty pale.

Thanks mother nature for your lovelies- I will continue to experiment and keep my eyes open for the curious things you have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment